Mediation Voucher Scheme

5 May 2021

By Susan Alexander, Consultant Solicitor and Family Mediation Council Authorised Mediator, Family Law Team 

The Government has introduced a family mediation voucher scheme to support separating or divorcing parties to resolve disputes about childcare arrangements. The Government will contribute up to £500 per matter. 

Only mediators authorised by the Family Mediation Council (FMC) such as myself are able to participate in the scheme. 

What is Family Mediation?
An independent impartial mediator (such as myself) helps you work out arrangements with another participant (e.g. your former partner) concerning children, finance or property. The mediator is there to help you work through disagreements, find solutions that work for you both and explain how to make the agreement legally binding should you wish to do so. 

How can I help?
I am fully accredited by the Family Mediation Council as a family mediator, as such I am authorised to conduct Mediation Information and Assessment Meetings (MIAMs) and to sign the FM1 form which is needed should you wish to proceed with an application to the court. I am also trained in child inclusive mediation.

How do I access the voucher scheme?
If you would like to take advantage of the voucher scheme, please contact Susan Alexander, on 01244 356 789 or email

Please note:
This is not legal advice; it is intended to provide information of general interest about current legal issues.